The types of health insurance we offer in California include Hospital Indemnity and Supplemental Hospital Insurance plans. Unlike short term health insurance, these plans can be kept for as long as needed.
Care Access Plan - Hospital Indemnity - Get a Quote - View Brochure
Large medical bills, expected or not, can be stressful. Oftentimes, consumers must meet their health insurance deductible before plan benefits fully kick in. Hospital indemnity plans can help reduce out-of-pocket costs by paying fixed benefit amounts for covered medical expenses resulting from hospitalization or surgery.
This type of coverage may be the right fit if you are looking for:
- Coverage for unexpected hospitalization or surgery charges, with varying levels of benefits and price points
- Flexibility to choose any doctor or hospital, with additional cost savings available via access to network providers
- Lump-sum benefit payments for ambulance, chemotherapy and radiation, and an added critical illness benefit
Supplemental Hospital Insurance - Get a Quote - View Brochure
A trip to the hospital can be stressful enough without the added expense that may come with it. Supplemental Hospital Insurance provides fixed benefits for out-of-pocket costs as a result of a covered hospital stay or surgery, up to the selected maximum amount. With two easy-to-understand options and an additional buy-up offered, the Supplemental Hospital Insurance provides flexibility for both needs and budget.
Supplemental Hospital Insurance provides coverage for:
- Inpatient hospital confinement
- Inpatient and outpatient surgical services
- Second surgical opinion
- Outpatient urgent care or emergency room visits
- Outpatient diagnostic x-ray or lab
- Outpatient advanced studies after an inpatient hospital stay
- Independence American Insurance Company (Independence American) is domiciled in Delaware and licensed to write property and/or casualty insurance in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Its products include short-term medical, hospital indemnity, fixed indemnity limited benefit, group and individual dental, and pet insurance. Independence American is rated A- (Excellent) for financial strength by A.M. Best, a widely recognized rating agency that rates insurance companies on their relative financial strength and ability to meet policyholder obligations (an A++ rating from A.M. Best is its highest rating).
- A $25 one-time enrollment fee may be added to the first month’s payment.
- Availability – The Care Access Plan is available in the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, ME, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WV, WY. Availability is subject to change.
- Availability – The Supplemental Hospital Insurance plan, underwritten by Independence American Insurance Company (Independence American) is available in the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WV, WY. Availability is subject to change.
These products are not qualifying health coverage (“Minimum Essential Coverage”) that satisfies the health coverage requirement of the Affordable Care Act.
This is a brief overview of how short term plans work and how each plan is different. Short Term Health Insurance will cover you if you become ill, have an accident or injury. Coverage includes doctor office visits, inpatient and outpatient hospital, surgery, transplants, x-ray, labs and more. Most plans allow you to choose any doctor or hospital. Many also have PPO network options you can use for extra savings. Coverage can begin as early as 12:01AM tonight. You can also choose a later date. Completing the application takes less than 10 minutes. Most plans have instant online approval if you are eligible. If you can answer NO to the few medical questions you are eligible and the policy is approved. You can apply and pay for your plan online, by mail or fax. Most plans have a 10 day free look period and you can cancel the plan for any reason for a complete refund of the premium. The refund policy may vary by state.
Deductibles and Co-Insurance - If you become ill, have an accident or injury, payments are made according to the deductible and co-insurance that you choose. First you would pay your deductible and then the co-insurance starts. Co-insurance is the amount you are required to pay for medical care after the deductible has been met. The Co-insurance rate is expressed as a percentage and there is a dollar limit. For example, the insurance company may pay 80% of the covered claim, and the insured pays the remaining 20%. This would be called 80/20. If the limit is $5,000, then the insurance company would pay 80% and you would pay 20%. After this, the insurance company pays 100% up to the policy limits. It pays to know what your co-insurance limit is.
Example: - John purchased a Short Term Medical plan with a $1,000 deductible and 80/20 Co-insurance (with a $5,000 co-insurance limit).
John falls off his ladder and breaks his leg. The total medical bill is $15,000. First John would pay his $1,000 deductible. Next John would pay 20% of the next $5,000 (the $5,000 is the co-insurance limit) and the insurance company pays 80%. After this, the insurance company pays 100% of the medical bill according to the policy limits.
John's total out of pocket: $1,000 deductible + $1,000 for the co-insurance = $2,000
The remaining $13,000 is paid by the insurance company.
Every Plan includes a FREE Rx, Lab and Imaging Plan when you apply for your short term health insurance through ConsumerBenefits.net. This plan is designed to save you money on your out of pocket expenses. We make these plan available to all of our customers. The savings plans are not part of the insurance policy or associated with any of the insurance companies we represent. Get More Information
Contact us with any specific questions you may have on hospital indemnity plans or short term health insurance.
California License OG50115 DBA Consumer Benefits Health Services | California Short Term Health Insurance